As you define your Data Protection Policy, you have the option to easily add and/or select specific Baffle Shields that will be used for migration. This document walks through the process for selecting and adding migration Shields from the Baffle Manager UI.
Add or select a migration Shield
The option to add and select a migration shield is available on the application confirmation page, after you have defined a data protection policy.
NOTE: This option is only available when you select Deploy Policy & Migrate Data.
To add a migration shield, do the following:
- Under the dropdown menu Migration Shield, select the Baffle Shield you will use for migration.
NOTE: Only the Shields enrolled with the application are available for selection. Shields are typically enrolled to the application when it is first created. However, you can also add a Baffle Shield directly from this page, by selecting +Migration Shield from the dropdown menu.
- Click +Migration Shield. The Add Baffle Shield dialog appears. Make a note in the Shield description that this shield was added for migration.
- Specify the necessary options and click Add Baffle Shield.
NOTE: After successfully adding your migration Shield, it is automatically selected for your migration. However, you can change your selection and choose a different Baffle Shield for migration, as long as it is enrolled with the application.
- Click Save to initiate your data protection policy. The migration process begins, and it takes place on your selected migration Shield. The new migration Shield is now visible on the Shields dashboard.
Known Issues with Migration Shields
Currently, there is not an indicator in the UI that delineates shields added for migration. One will be added shortly. As a workaround, we recommend specifying each Shield’s usage in the Shield description field, to add context.
There are some minor clipping issues with the Migration Shield dropdown menu that occur on smaller displays.
It is possible for a user to add a Migration Shield without an SSL connection, for applications that use SSL. This should not occur, and it is prevented during normal application enrollment. Please ensure all Shields on your application use an SSL connection, as long as your database does as well.
- It may be possible for a user to add a Migration Shield with the same shield name as a previously added Shield. Be sure to avoid specifying the same name for different Baffle Shields.